Tuesday, October 13, 2009

a whip around the world...

One of the more pleasant ways for an author to procrastinate is to take a quick trawl around foreign Harlequin webistes to see where her books might be selling.

Today I found Her Cattleman Boss in Germany, looking much more dramatic amd elegant and rechrsistened Wild Kisses, Wide Land. I have to say I don't mind the new titles the Germans come up with. I remember how devastated I was when my first book, which I'd called Impossible Dream, was given the title Outback Wife and Mother.

'I love it,' my editor said. 'It has so many hooks.'
(I didn't love it, although over the years I've got usesd to those hooky titles.) But when it came out in Germany, I was facsinated to see that it was called A Thousand Stars over Wallaroo .





Also, this month, Blind Date with the Boss (now Dancing with the Boss) is making an appearance in Holland, and Adopted: Outback Baby is out in the Scandanavian countries as Magic Summer. It's interesting that these other countries aren't so hung up on hooks.
(Oops sorry, bad pun)
I love it when my characters are busy while I'm asleep.

3 comments:

2paw said...

Your characters are so busy around the world!! I noticed a few 'unhooky' titles slipping into the lists recently. I like them. I know why they market with a title with a hook, but I do like a different and mysterious title too!!

Magdalena Scott said...

Wow--what a great way to procrascinate!

I'm with you and 2paw about hooky titles. Sometimes they cause me to roll my eyes just a smidge.

Lacey Devlin said...

I love Germany's style :D