Saturday, July 11, 2009

Driveway music...

You may have guessed that my deadline is looming and I have my head down. Can't think of much except what's happening to my characters.

But I did discover something new yesterday, while I was washing up and listening to the radio. It's the concept of driveway music - music on the car radio that's so gorgeous (substitute adjective of choice here) that when you get home, you can't turn it off. You have to stay in the car, in your driveway, and keep listening till you get to the end.


And then yesterday afternoon, I had a driveway music moment. I'd dashed into town for a couple of things, and as I turned in at our driveway (which is about 4 or 5 hundred metres long) they were playing the most fabulous music. Now, I have to tell you I don't usually go for brass band music, but this brass band was playing Freddie Mercury's Bohemian Rhapsody - and - it - was - amazing.


So yeah, I pulled up at the house and sat there and just - listened. Went back to work feeling uplifted.

5 comments:

Magdalena Scott said...

"Bohemian Rhapsody" done by a brass band sounds unique. Since I don't have that at hand, I'll make do with my QUEEN PLATINUM CD set.

:)

2paw said...

My car is almost 20 years old and doesn't have a CD player, but I am a Driveway Radio listener. I always listen to Local ABC or RN and I often find myself sitting in the car waiting for an interview to end. This morning it was an interesting piece on Background Briefing (maybe) about mental illness and how women and their bodies and minds are 'mental illness-ised'. I had to walk Lorelai Gilmore so I'll have to listen to the end on their website.
Good luck with your book, I hope it goes smoothly and easily!!!

Barbara Hannay said...

Yes, I was listening to the radio, too. ABC Classic FM. I love Margaret Throsby's interviews, but I don't often get time to hear them.
Hope Gilly enjoyed her walk.

JoyfullyHis said...

Thanks. I'll probably be singing the Queen version for the rest of the night...
Oh, and you know that driveway music is often accompanied by Car Dancing? It gets tricky when you're driving, but it can be done. ;)

Chris Builder said...

You are of course absolutely right; who can resist a great tune?