Tuesday, June 30, 2009

inspiring "how to" writing books...

I have two "how to" books by Donald Maass, which I've found invaluable. As soon as I read what he had to say about "tension on every page" I knew it was something I already strived to have in my novels, but would work even harder to maintain in the future.
Now he has another book out called The Fire in Fiction, and already word is spreading like... well... wild fire.
You might like to check out this interview with The Don which discusses his latest book and other pertinent matters. He hints at a technique called micro tension and I so want to know how to use it. Think I need that book NOW.

2 comments:

JoyfullyHis said...

Wow, it just goes to show that non-writers have NO idea of the behind-the-scenes world of writers and published authors. I am also curious as to what he thinks about micro-tension. It's interesting to stop and look at your personal library and ask yourself "What is it about these books that I like so much?" And also about the books that you put down and never want to finish. What WAS it? Hmm. This is a little too philosophical for me before my morning tea. Thanks for the introspection though!

Lacey Devlin said...

Microtension? Well I'm hooked who would have thunk it? I'm hoping it's a new concept or I'll have to hang my head with shame ;)