Monday, September 11, 2006

Tarzali... our second home


The picture above is of tree ferns "at the bottom of our garden". Can't you see why I love it here?

I wish I could play you a recording of early morning at Tarzali, but I’m afraid the technology is beyond me. It’s so peaceful as we sit having breakfast on the veranda. (Elliot’s made an omelette with our home grown basil and garlic chives.)

There are blue herons feeding quietly on the newly cut grass and crimson rosellas feeding rather more noisily in the lillypillies. A kookaburra is poised on the passionfruit trellis and might burst into laughter at any moment.

And, as we look at our view of green hills, valleys and distant blue mountains, we can hear all around us the calls of countless other birds… currawongs, honey eaters, blue jays, the whip call of a rifle bird and the long, twittering notes of a flycatcher.

Of course, there’s the inevitable crow cawing and squawking.

Did you know that a flock of crows is correctly called a murder of crows?

I wonder why?

I started my new book yesterday... I have a different routine here. I garden in the mornings and late afternoons and write from about 10.30 till 4p.m. But today I'm getting ready for visitors... my sister and her husband are taking part in the Port Douglas to Mission Beach cycling challenge and will be spending two nights and their "rest day" with us, so I'll probably not post tomorrow.

See you soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love hearing about Australia!! Today on our walk there were 2 very noisy Kookaburras laughing their heads off, and wallabies(The Labradors call them Kangaroos!!) hopping through the bush. The wattle is blooming and Spring is here. There is just that smell in the air. It is cool, almost cold, frosty and crisp, and then the Sun rises and the coldness steams away!!! Write that book now!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow mum! I was wondering why i haven't been able to get in touch with you and dad. Sounds like you're having a lovely time. Wish I could be there too. I've just finished my sneak preview of "Claiming the Cattleman's heart"- LOVED IT!! Congratulations.
Look forward to a big catch up soon.
Love Vicki

Barbara Hannay said...

Oh, my gosh, Vicki! What recalcitrant parents we are! Running away without telling all of our children. That's the problem with having so many. (grin) Sorry, mate.
So glad you enjoyed Claiming the Cattleman's Heart. As you know, I really trust your judgement.

2paw, your walks sound wonderful. Quite like here, even though we are at opposite ends of Australia -- except we don't have wallabies here -- tree kangaroos instead.